We help companies and individuals in the United Kingdom acquire trade mark and patent rights in the US.
We have experience helping trade mark clients in more than 30countries.
Contact us if you
— Need to determine if a trade mark that you want to use is available in the US for registration
— Want to file a new trade mark application to register a trade mark in the US
— Have received a trade mark office action from the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), we can help you understand it and file a response.
If you don’t file a response before the deadline, your trade mark application will be considered abandoned and you won’t secure any trade mark rights in the USA.
We can help with new applications to register a US trade mark; we can also help with your existing applications under the Madrid Protocol (through WIPO, the World Intellectual Property Organisation in Geneva).
Request a quotation for a new trademark application or for assistance with a trademark office action
At Wells IP Law, we have prepared clearance reports for hundreds of trademarks and responded to Office Actions addressing statutory issues that include likelihood of confusion, descriptiveness, surname refusals, geographic descriptiveness, foreign equivalents, and changes to descriptions of goods and services.
We have managed foreign trademark counsel for U.S.-based clients seeking trademark protection in Europe, Latin America, Canada, Asia, and Australia. We have significant experience with trademark filing under the Madrid Protocol, including both initial applications and Office Actions for trademark applications originating in both the U.S. and in other countries (foreign office of origin applications).
In addition to US trademark prosecution, we have participated in ex parte appeals at the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board, as well as oppositions and cancellations. We have also negotiated trademark license agreements, consent agreements, co-existence agreements, and settlements relating to trademark disputes, including disputes related to online trademark infringement.
Our trademark experience includes:
- Handled multiple accusations of online trademark infringement for a major web hosting company whose clients’ website contained potentially infringing trademarks.
- Negotiated settlement terms for a client accused of infringing the trademark of a major U.S. franchise operator.
- Analyzed online trademark infringements and sent cease and desist letters for a Fortune 50 corporation.
- Responded to Office Actions from the United States Patent and Trademark Office for a German client who originally filed a trademark application in Germany under the Madrid Protocol.
- Obtained trademark registrations throughout the European Union and Armenia for a U.S.-based multinational in the engineering services sector.
- Led out in a cancellation proceeding with a major Japanese shipping company on behalf of a U.S. partner.